Here you will find the climbing frame and a welcoming selection of marquees and children friendly workshops, games and craft activities.
A Crèche space is provided for children under five and their parents or guardians. This is a pleasant small marquee in the children's village area with a wood stove that can be lit in damp weather. This is not staffed but is run by parents and volunteers on the camp, coordinated with help from Earthsong.
As a very wise woman once said ' Children are the heartbeat of Earthsong and if we can keep them happy the whole camp will be happy!'
This is the ethos with which we run the children's area. We see it as an opportunity for children to be creative in a non-classroom environment; weather permitting many of our workshops are held outdoors. Everyday we run a variety of activities and endeavour to facilitate something to suit each age group.
What's on offer - Previous Workshops
Felting, Wand Making, building Fairy Houses, Land Surfing, Sports, Games, Painting, Song Writing, Costume Making, Teddy Bears Picnic, Mask making, knitting, Jewellery making, Puppet making, Make your own Flag, Ceramics, Wrestling, Story telling, Drama, Drumming, Dancing, Learning about the Ecology of the Forest and Beautiful forest walks.
We see Earthsong as an opportunity to re-connect children to the earth, to awaken and nurture their sense of wonder and awe of nature. Most importantly we wish the experience to be liberating and fun and we hope the memories last a lifetime.
Children are the responsibility of their parents or guardians at all times.
"Earthsong 2010 was absolutely amazing, especially the big drum night, the ball, and favourite songs night. Earthsong has changed my life. I love it. It's the best time of the year." Coby
Teenagers from 15yrs up will have an option of camping in their own area. They will have experienced co-ordinators who will support them around being responsible for running and looking after their campsite and circle, and planning their program. They are invited to participate in all of the adult workshops and will also have separate workshops in the teen space.
Teenagers are encouraged to return to their parents/guardian circles for main meal times. Teenagers staying in the teen area will have to comply with camp guidelines; failure to do so will mean they have to return to their parents/guardian camp circle. No teenagers will be allowed on site without a parent or adult guardian who will be ultimately responsible for their behaviour. The minimum age for the adult guardian is 25.
Earthsong teenagers have been amongst the strongest advocates of the camp and have shared their skills and power with an evening of drumming, which is always one of the highlights of the camp.
For Parents/Guardians of Teenagers at Earthsong
The teenage area at Earthsong is a space for teenagers to hang out. They are provided with a venue and a central fire. Teenagers can also camp in the teen area if they are 15 years or older and have permission from their parents/guardians. Please be aware that there are different age groups represented in the teen area. Workshops are held in the teen venue and members of the teen team visit them regularly. Parents are invited to do the same. Teenagers are also invited to participate in the adult programme unless stated otherwise.
For many teenagers Earthsong is an experience of great freedom and with this freedom comes responsibility. The intention of the Earthsong teen team is to create a space for teenagers to be heard and celebrated in a safe environment. This safety is held by the teen team, teenagers and their parents/guardians within the wider network.
What Earthsong expects from Teenagers:
- To comply with the Earthsong ethos regarding, curfew, drugs, alcohol, and mobile phones. This includes not leaving the field unless necessary as Earthsong is a retreat space
- To communicate with parents/guardians daily and to participate in the responsibilities of their "home" circle and the camp (Meithal, cooking...etc)
- To communicate with the teen team regarding their needs and wishes for a safe and nourishing experience at Earthsong
- To treat themselves and others with respect and love
- To be their wonderful selves!
What Earthsong expects from Parents/Guardians:
- To understand that they are responsible for their teenager(s). Consider whether they are comfortable with their teenager(s) camping in the teen area unsupervised
- To continue to maintain the boundaries they have established with their teen(s) at home during Earthsong
- To uphold the boundaries of Earthsong with their teen(s)
- To communicate with their teenager(s) daily and include them in the shared responsibilities of their circle (eg. participation in circle sharing time)
- To have a space in their circle where their teen(s) can sleep if they are asked to leave the teen area
What Earthsong expects of the Teen Team:
- To provide a rich programme of activities and workshops that engage and promote the teens' vibrancy, energy and coolness
- To enable teens to establish boundaries that meet their needs
- To provide support and hold the boundaries of Earthsong with the teens
- To be allies to the teenagers and work with them to encourage their autonomy and freedom
There will be a meeting for parents/guardians on Sunday. Please attend main meeting to make sure of time and place. Anyone who is a parent or guardian to a teen is expected to be present.
It is the general philosophy of Earthsong camps that tent circles are self-organising and try to manage their issues themselves as much as possible. However, if conflicts arise where circles require support, the core group will be offering group facilitation as needed.